Your pipes are your home’s lifeline, responsible for delivering fresh water in and dirty water out, so when they spring a leak or become clogged, it’s a major problem. You may be wondering whether you should repair your existing pipes with pipe relining or replace them entirely. Here’s a look at the advantages and disadvantages of each option to help you decide which is right for your home.
Advantages of Pipe Relining
- Pipe relining is typically less expensive than replacement because it doesn’t require as much labour or materials.
- Since pipe relining doesn’t require excavation, it’s much less disruptive to your home and landscaping.
- This repair option is capable of strengthening your existing pipes and extending their lifespan.
- Pipe relining is typically a quicker process than replacing pipes, so you can get your water flowing again faster.
Disadvantages of Pipe Relining
- In some cases, relining may not be possible if the damage to your pipes is too severe.
- It isn’t a permanent solution, and your pipes will eventually need to be replaced.
- Pipe relining requires access to your pipes, which may be difficult to obtain in some cases.
Advantages of Pipe Replacement
- Pipe replacement is a permanent solution to your pipe problems and will offer peace of mind that your new pipes have the potential to last years to come.
- New pipes are more durable and less likely to spring a leak than older, relined pipes, leaving you with no worries of resultant damage to your ceiling and walls.
- If you’re considering selling your home, new pipes may increase its value as potential buyers won’t be as interested in lined pipes they may have to replace relatively soon.
Disadvantages of Pipe Replacement
- Pipe replacement is typically more expensive than relining as the job takes longer and requires more resources.
- Depending on the location of the burst or leaking pipe, it may cause excessive resultant damage to your walls, ceilings, and other structures – extending the time spent on completing the repair. Any fittings that are broken in the process may be discontinued, so the aesthetic value of your home could be affected.
- Pipe replacement can be a time-consuming process, so you may have to go without water for a while.
If you suspect a burst or leaking pipe in your home, Aus Star Plumbing and Gas can make use of cutting-edge water leak detection technology to assess the problem quickly and efficiently. We’ll be able to provide you with a report outlining the most cost-effective and practical solution for your particular circumstances and advise you on whether relining or replacement would best suit your home’s plumbing. Contact us for your piping needs today.