Blocked drains are one of the worst problems any homeowner can experience. This is especially true if a blockage can cause costly damage.
Top tips to avoid blocked drains
- Avoid dumping grease or oil down the drain because the build-up will result in clogged pipes. Just think of hardened grease coating the pipe walls
- Avoid dumping coffee grounds down the drain. They’re better thrown in the garbage or added to the mulch pile
- Pour hot water down the sink after each use. In case oil and grease made it down the drain, hot water will keep it running down and out
- Always install a basket strainer or a drain-grate in the shower or sink drain to keep hair, soap residue, and other objects from blocking the drain
- Do not flush hygiene products, prescription medications, cotton balls, and other objects that will clog the toilet.
- When flushing toilet paper, never use excessive amounts of it to prevent blocked drains
- Keep leaves, foliage, and other garden wastes out your outdoor drain to prevent blockage
If blocked drains do occur, pour a handful of baking soda into the drain. Let it sit for a few minutes and follow it with hot water
Another option would be to pour one cup of vinegar down the drain. Let it sit for half an hour, and then follow it with hot water
In addition, you should check the flush valve seal of your toilet for leaks. The earlier any blocked drains are detected the sooner it can be fixed
Use food colouring to check for leaks. If coloured water leaks into your toilet bowl, then you have a leak.
It will also help if you familiarise the pipe network of your home, especially the location of the main water valve. In the event of a pipe burst, you can prevent flooding if you know where the main water valve is and turn it off quickly.
If you need assistance with your Blocked Drains – Call 0401 545 471!